Research Program Highlights
Research program focused on nematode biology and management
- Statewide program with CE Farm Advisers on multiple crops.
- Long term/high risk research on nematode population cycling in soil and in roots.
- Facilitating the use of cultural practices through development of molecular diagnostic techniques for root-knot and lesion nematodes.
- Facilitating the use of cultural practices through monitoring soil abiotic factors.
- Use of seed treatments to reduce the pesticide load in the environment.
- Managing nematodes with currently registered insecticides and fungicides.
- Use of ozone as a nematicide.
- Multidisciplinary approach involving weeds, fungi, nematodes, fumigant dispersal and fumigant emissions to develop alternatives to methyl bromide.
- Field trials to support registration of new biological nematicide active ingredients - (Quillaja, Melocon, Abamectin).