James R. Carey
James R. Carey, PhD: Biodemography
PHONE:(530) 752-6217 (off); (530) 400-8998 (cell)
- B.S., Animal Ecology, Iowa State University
- M. S. Entomology, Iowa State University
- Ph.D., Entomology, University of California, Berkeley
"From trickle to flood: The large scale, cryptic invasion of California by tropical fruit flies" by N. T. Papadopoulos, R. E. Plant and J. R. Carey. Published Open Access in Proc. Royal Soc. B
Click here for main article
Click here for Supplemental material (more maps; tables)
Click here to view "Estimating age structure in insect populations using the captive cohort method" presented at Keyfitz Centennial Symposium on Mathematical Demography, Mathematical Biosciences Institute, Ohio State (June 24, 2013)
WRITE LIKE A PROFESSOR (Videos for term paper writing)
Produced by Professor James Carey (Entomology) and Sarah Perrault (University Writing Program), this playlist serves as a video roadmap for students who wish to write a research term paper. Consisting of 13 videos lasting 2-5 minutes each (40 mins total), the general approach is based on writing strategies used by many faculty and research scholars.
The video set is not about grammar, outlining, structuring, editing and proofing, per se, but about best practices in word processing, researching, ethical writing, types of literature and organization, and stages of term paper (manuscript) preparation.
This playlist was originally designed for use in the upper division course Carey teaches on demography and aging (HDE/ENT 117) titled Longevity. This video set is the first in the “Write Like a Professor” series that Carey and Perrault plan to produce and contains many generic elements that apply to the preparation of term papers on any topic (click on each topic to access video).
PART I: PREPARATION
PART II: WRITING
TOTAL PLAY TIME: 39 mins 53 secs
I have two essentially non-overlapping areas of research. My primary area of interest (and for funding) is biodemography, a discipline in which I was deeply involved in the early stages of that discipline's formation (i.e. early-to mid-1990s) and in which I am still quite active. My biodemographic research interests are both conceptually and empirically eclectic with topics ranging from life span theory and age structure estimation to caloric restriction and the demography of fruit fly, honeybees, butterflies, rodents, and primates. My secondary area of research is invasion biology with particular emphasis on the invasion of California by tropical fruit flies such as the medfly, the Mexfly and the oriental fruit fly.
I teach two main courses:
Longevity (ENT 117/HDE 117)--click here for 2013 syllabus. First taught in the late 1990s with 14 students, the enrollment cap in this biodemography-based course was increased this year from 200 to 250 (e.g. 250 students enrolled Fall, 2013). Course is divided into three parts including analytics (e.g. life tables; mortality), biology of aging (e.g. genetics; evolution; theory), and human longevity (e.g. health; diseases; fetal origin hypothsis).
Terrorism and War (SAS 7)--click here for 2013 syllabus. I conceived of this course and first offered it in 2003 through the UCD Science and Society program with enrollments ranging between 125 and 300 students. A major development in course content and quality was the agreement of Prof. John Arquilla (Chair, Department of Defense Analysis, Naval Postgraduate School) to co-teach the course. We believe that there is no other course like this in the country—i.e. lower division, GE, lectures by world-class scholars in terrorism, war and national security. The course is now being offered 100% online with around 160 students enrolled Spring Quarter, 2013.
Carey's Laboratory Research/Personnel: Page
Books and Special Issues
- Carey JR, Tuljapurkar S, Wachter K (2012) Special Issue: Biodemographic determinants of lifespan. Experimental Gerontology 47: 755-813.
- Carey JR, Robine J-M, Michel J-P, Christen Y, editors (2005) Longevity and Frailty. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
- Carey JR, Tuljapurkar S, editors (2003) Life Span: Evolutionary, Ecological and Demographic Perspectives. New York. 1-320 p.
- Carey JR (2003) Longevity. The Biology and Demography of Life Span. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Carey JR, Judge DS (2000) Longevity Records: Life Spans of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Amphibians and Fishes; Jeune B, Vaupel JW, editors. Odense, Denmark: Odense University Press.
- Carey JR (1993) Applied Demography for Biologists with special emphasis on insects. New York: Oxford University Press.
Peer-reviewed publications (2010-2013)
- Arlet, M. E., Chancellor, R. L., Kaasik, A., Chapman, C. A., Molleman, F., Isbell, L. A., Mänd, R. & Carey, J. R. (2013) Determinants of female reproductive success in gray-cheeked mangabeys (Lophocebus albigena) in Kibale National Park, Uganda. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, (in revision).
- Carey, J. R., Liedo, P., Wang, J.-L., Müller, H.-G., Su, Y.-R., Xu, C. & Vaupel, J. W. (2013) Geriatric trauma shapes mortality in a tephritid fly. (in prep).
- Chiu, J. C., Kaub, K., Zou, S., Liedo, P., Altamirano-Robles, L. A., Ingram, D. & Carey, J. R. (2013) Deleterious effect of suboptimal diet on sleep-wake cycle in Anastrepha ludens manifests itself with age. Scientific Reports, 3 : 1773 | DOI: 10.1038/srep01773.
- Harwood, J. F., Vargas, R. I. & Carey, J. R. (2013) Leg impairment magnifies reproductive costs in male Mediterranean fruit flies, Ceratitis capitata. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 147, 73-81.
- Papadopoulos, N., Plant, R. & Carey, J. R. (2013) From trickle to flood: The large-scale, insidious invasion of California by tropical fruit flies. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 20131466. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2013.1466.
- Valtonen, A., Molleman, F., Chapman, C. A., Carey, J. R., Ayres, M. P. & Roinnen, H. (2013) Tropical phenology: Bi-annual rhythms and interannual variation in an Afrotropical butterfly assemblage. Ecosphere, 4, 1-28
- Carey, J. R., Müller, H.-G., Wang, J.-L., Papadopoulos, N. T., Diamantidis, A. & Kouloussis, N. A. (2012) Graphical and demographic synopsis of the captive cohort method for estimating population age structure in the wild. Experimental Gerontology, 47, 787-791.
- Carey, J. R., Papadopoulos, N. T., Papanastasiou, S., Diamanditis, A. & Nakas, C. T. (2012) Estimating changes in mean population age using the death distributions of live-captured medflies. Ecological Entomology, 37, 359-369.
- Carey, J. R., Tuljapurkar, S. & Wachter, K. (2012) Editorial for the Special Issue: Biodemographic determinants of lifespan. Experimental Gerontology, 47, 755-758.
- Carey, J. R., Tuljapurkar, S. & Wachter, K. (2012) Special Issue: Biodemographic determinants of lifespan. Experimental Gerontology, 47, 755-813.
- Duyck, P.-F., Kouloussis, N., Papadopoulos, N. T., Quilici, S. & Carey, J. R. (2012) Exceptional longevity in the tephritid, Ceratitis rosa, a close relative of the Mediterranean fruit fly. Journal of Economic Entomology, 105, 371-373.
- Liedo, P., Carey, J. R., Ingram, D. K. & Zou, S. (2012) The interplay among dietary fat, sugar, protein and acai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp in modulating lifespan and reproduction in a Tephritid fruit fly. Experimental Gerontology, 47, 536-539.
- Molleman, F., Kaasik, A., Whitaker, M. R. & Carey, J. R. (2012) Partitioning variation in duration of ant feeding bouts can offer insights into the palatability of insects: Experiments on African fruit-feeding butterflies. Journal of Research on Lepidoptera, 45, 65-75.
- Novoseltsev, V. N., Michalski, A. I., Novoseltseva, J. A., Yashin, A. I., Carey, J. R. & Ellis, A. M. (2012) An age-structured extension to the vectorial capacity model. PLos One, 7, e39479. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0039479.
- Zou, S., Carey, J. R., Liedo, P., Ingram, D. K. & Yu, B. (2012) Prolongevity effects of a botanical with oregano and cranberry extracts in Mexican fruit flies: examining interactions of diet restriction and age. AGE, 34, 269-279.
- Arlet, M., Kaasik, A., Molleman, F., Isbell, L., Carey, J. R. & Mänd, R. (2011) Social factors increase fecal testosterone levels in wild male gray-cheeked mangabeys (Lophocebus albigena). Hormones and Behavior, 59, 605-611.
- Carey, J. R. (2011) Biodemography of the medfly: Aging, longevity, and adaptation in the wild. Experimental Gerontology, 46, 404-411.
- Carey, J. R. (2011) Sleeper medflies bring serious quarantine risks to California growers. Western Farm Press. San Diego.
- Diamantidis, A. D., Carey, J. R., Nakas, C. T. & Papadopoulos, N. T. (2011) Ancestral populations perform better in a novel environment: Domestication of Mediterranean fruit fly populations from five global regions. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 102, 334-345.
- Diamantidis, A. D., Carey, J. R., Nakas, C. T. & Papadopoulos, N. T. (2011) Population-specific demography and invasion potential in the medfly. Ecology and Evolution, 4, 479-488.
- Kouloussis, N. A., Papadopoulos, N. T., Katsoyannos, B. I., Müller, H.-G., Wang, J.-L., Su, Y.-R., Molleman, F. & Carey, J. R. (2011) Seasonal trends in Ceratitis capitata reproductive potential derived from live-caught adult females in Greece. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 140, 181-188.
- Mason, J. B., Cargill, S. L., Griffey, S., Reader, J., Anderson, G. B. & Carey, J. R. (2011) Transplantation of young ovaries restored cardioprotective influence in postreproductive-aged mice. Aging Cell, 10, 448-456.
- Papadopoulos, N. T., Papanastasiou, S., Müller, H. G., Wang, J.-L., Yang, W. & Carey, J. R. (2011) Dietary effects on sex-specific health dynamics of the medfly: Support for the dynamic equilibrium model of aging. Experimental Gerontology, 46, 1026-1030.
- Papanastasiou, S. A., Diamantidis, A. D., Nakas, C. T., Carey, J. R. & Papadopoulos, N. T. (2011) Dual reproductive cost of aging in male medflies: dramatic decrease in mating competitiveness and gradual reduction in mating performance. Journal of Insect Physiology, 57, 1368-1374.
- Zou, S., Liedo, P., Altamirano-Robles, L., Cruz-Enriquez, J., Morice, A., Ingram, D. K., Kaub, K., Papadopoulos, N. & Carey, J. R. (2011) Recording lifetime behavior and movement in an invertebrate model. PLoS One, 6, e18151.
- Boyden, N.B., Carey, J.R., 2010. From one-and-done to seasoned veterans: A demographic analysis of individual career length in Major League Soccer. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports 6, DOI: 10.2202/1559-0410.1261.
- Carey, J.R., 2010. Book Review: Supercentenarians by H. Maier, J. Gampe, B. Jeune, J.-M. Robine, and J. W. Vaupel. Population and Development Review 36, 846-847.
- Carey, J.R., 2010. The Mediterranean fruit fly (Ceratitis capitata) invasion of California deepens: Response to an alternative explanation for recurring outbreaks. American Entomologist 56: 158-163.
- Carey, J.R., Laursen, J., Glaser, S., Raphael, S., Miller, G., Crawford, J., Lane, T., LiWang, P., Hammond, K., Groves, T., Pittet, J.-F., Stuart, D., Kolaitis, P., Serwer, L., Chen, M., Feer, K., 2010. University of California research seminar network: A prospectus. PLoS Biology 8, e1000289.doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1000289.
- Carey, J.R., Molleman, F., 2010. Reproductive aging in tephritid fruit flies. Proceedings of the New York Academy of Sciences 1204, 139-148.
- Chen, I., 2010. From medfly to moth: Raising a buzz of dissent. Science 327, 134-136.
- Duyck, P.-F., Kouloussis, N., Papadopoulos, N.T., Quilici, S., Carey, J.R., 2010. Exceptional longevity in the tephritid, Ceratitis rosa, a close relative of the Mediterranean fruit fly. submitted.
- Duyck, P.-F., Kouloussis, N., Papadopoulos, N.T., Quilici, S., Wang, J.-L., Jiang, C.-R., Müller, H.-G., Carey, J.R., 2010. Lifespan of a Ceratitis fruit fly increases with higher altitude. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 101, 345-350.
- Mason, J.B., Cargill, S.L., Anderson, G.B., Carey, J.R., 2010. Ovarian status influenced the rate of body-weight change but not the total amount of body-weight gained or lost in female CBA/J mice Experimental Gerontology 45, 435-441.
- Molleman, F., Whitaker, M.R., Carey, J.R., 2010. Rating palatability of butterflies by measuring ant feeding behavior. Entomologische Berichten 70, 52-62.
- Papadopoulos, N.T., Liedo, P., Müller, H.-G., Wang, J.-L., Molleman, F., Carey, J.R., 2010. Cost of reproduction in male medflies: The primacy of sexual courting in extreme longevity reduction. Journal of Insect Physiology 56, 283-287.